Dr. Ed Gragert, Craig Perrier (via Skype), and I leading a session on the Lesson For All, a set K-12 units focused on the right of education and the barriers that youth around the world experience when trying to access that right.
VUCA. Anthony Jackson, Vice President of the Asia Society, introduced the Partnership for Global Learning conference with his view of world we are living in. VUCA: Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, and Ambiguous. With dynamic world leaders like Dr. Tererai Trent, the conference plenary keynote speaker, we are challenged to look beyond barriers to prepare our students for a VUCA future. Born in Zimbabwe and denied an education, Dr. Trent went on to earn her PhD and now challenges us all to see: It is achievable.
A couple take-aways from this empowering conference:
- Columbia University is offering a graduate level certificate for educators called GCC, Global Competence Certificate. Teachers College, Asia Society PGL and World Savvy are the collaborating partners.
- Leadership is action and not position (Dr. Trent)
- 3 major shifts in the Common Core ELA Standards if we look beyond the controversy (Maryann Woods-Murphy in Making the Shift to Global Content Using Big Ideas)
- Building knowledge though content rich nonfiction
- Reading, writing, and speaking & listening grounded in evidence from text, both literary and informational
- Regular practice with complex text and its academic language
- Avoid the risk of the single story by offering a variety of viewpoints and perspectives (Woods-Murphy)
- There are amazing schools leading the way into the VUCA world. Check out the International Social Studies School Network, ISSN.
I have been part of the moment toward empowering our students though global understanding for years… and for the first time, I felt that we as an education system were really starting to see the value and act.
‘The Asia Society Partnership for Global Learning annual conference is dedicated to preparing students to be globally competent and ready for college. The event connects educators, business leaders, policymakers and resource providers to share best practices, build partnerships and advance policies to ensure the next generation is ready to lead in an interconnected world. ‘